A-la Carte Support
Value-added software
Complementary Components
Customer Corner
Company Profile
Marketing Materials
Contact Us
News
Home / Developer Corner / Forums / Installation and building / OpenCascade 5.1 Installation on Fedora Core

OpenCascade 5.1 Installation on Fedora Core

OpenCascade 5.1 Installation on Fedora Core
Kunal Singh 2004/04/04 19:36
I'm trying to install OpenCascade on Fedora Core. I made the changes to the source to use sstream and std::strstream. The good news is everything compiles. But when I do the make install, it looks for libraries of the format libTKernel.0.0.0 which is there in adm/make/TKernel. But for other libraries libTKMath, the corresponding file doesn't exist. I have no idea what a .la file is either or how the library file may be generated using the .la files.

Can anybody tell me what I have to do to get these .0.0.0 files to be generated ? If I do a make all, it thinks nothing needs to be done in any of the directories.

Thanks,
Kunal
julien tersac 2004/04/09 00:01
Shared Library lib*.so.0.0.0 were generated in my case when I ran into the make install stage.

You might want a complete rebuild of OCC. To do so, just

make clean
then
make all

finally when everything's OK, try .
make install

You might also want to update env.ksh or env.csh script to reflect your config

Good luck
bob 2004/04/09 07:11
Aah! a complete rebuild will take forever!

What I did (Debian Sarge) was make a symlink to the proper library. If the real lib is at /lib/somelib.so, and it can't find somelib.so.0.0, do:
bob@bob:/lib$ln -s somelib.so somelib.so.0.0
You'll probably need to be root to do this.

Bob
Theo 2004/04/20 00:15
Kunal:

I am attempting the same and run immediately into trouble with the first source file it tries to compile. Can you describe the system you were using? I have an FC1 base install but have yummed it to be a FC2. I am wondering if that can be a problem. Secondly, I really do not have a clear picture of the prerequisites for the OpenGL sw stack. I am running a low end ATI card, but I have several libGL.so links around my system (under /usr/X11 and /usr/local/lib). And then similar situation with the MESA libraries.

So any updates on where you are would be greatly appreciated.
Kunal Singh 2004/04/27 14:11
Well, I tried a full rebuild, let it run overnight. Same problem. Apparently there seems to be some problem with libtool so that the system doesn't generate the so files for the other libs. I have to read up a little more on libtool to see whether these .la files are the same as .so files or something altogether different. Damn libtool is so complicated, when I last looked to find out which file extension is which.

I don't think your problem has anything to do with yum to FC2. I think this library hasn't been built by anyone on FC!
Kunal Singh 2004/04/27 14:49
One of the dependencies that I think is not mentioned in the documentation is Inventor which has to be downloaded from http://oss.sgi.com/projects/inventor.

After that
source-directory/configure –prefix= --srcdir=source-directory --with-tcl=DIR --with-tk=DIR

My version of the source required modifications to the following

Requires modifications of files to use std::ostrstream and #include<sstream>
src/Draw/Draw_BasicCommmands.cxx
src/Draw/Draw_Interpretor.cxx
Plugin_Macro.hxx: name##, remove ##
src/XCAFDoc/XCAFDoc_ShapeTool.cxx
src/WOKAPI/WOKAPI_session.cxx
src/WOKMake/WOKMake_BuildProcessIterator.cxx
src/WOKTCL/WOKTCL_DefaultCommand.cxx
src/WOKTclTools/WOKTclTools_Interpretor.cxx
src/WOKLibs/wokcmd.cxx
src/WOKSH/woksh.cxx
src/WOKSH/wokprocess.cxx

At the end, I think I'm running into some libtool problem. It seems the thing ships with its own 'libtool' and versijon 1.5 is installed on FC1.
Hong-Jun Kim 2010/01/27 23:14
Hi!

I am sorry to bother you with this old subject about missing ".so" suffix and other libraries like "TKMath" for OpenCasCade installation.
I have the same problem and then could you please some advices if you have?
Thanks.

Hong-Jun Kim

Latest news
  • Open CASCADE Technology 6.7.1 is available for download!
  • Open CASCADE Technology 6.7.0 is available for download!
  • Open CASCADE Technology 6.6.0 is available for download!

• © OPEN CASCADE 2000 - 2014  |  Search  |  Contacts   |  Site map