Open CASCADE, the 3D modelling kernel
3D modeling & numerical simulation

Search the Forums
See All Topics

OCC 6.2 on Mac OSX patches and build scripts

OCC 6.2 on Mac OSX patches and build scripts
Torsten Sadowski 2007/05/15 16:12
Hi,

I updated my patches to OpenCASCADE 6.2. As usual you need a Linux install first from which you can copy.

I came across 2 special problems:

In the file Standard_ErrorHandler.cxx I had to use a C type cast:

return (Standard_Integer)pthread_self();

The return value is a pointer to a struct so casting might or might not be dangerous. So far I did not try multithreading.

MMGT_OPT is disabled for __APPLE__ in Standard.cxx. I reenabled it and it seems that mmap()ed memory management is working.

Cheers, Torsten
jacob 2007/09/15 10:06
Hi,

is there a universal build for Mac OX version for opencacade.

Jacob.
Torsten Sadowski 2007/09/17 20:49
Hi Jacob,

why do you need a universal build for a source package?

Cheers, Torsten
Sylvain Marie 2007/09/25 23:58
Hi,

I also need the universal build of OCC 6.2 :-) Some of our clients are still PPC based and other switched on I386 already.

BTW Torsten thank you for the patches ! :-) They work well if the exotic Comp build from OCC is used (but create only i386 binaries).

I tried to use "configure" on the patched src tree, with the parameters mentioned on the apple tech note (http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html) to create universal binaries, but for some reason only the i386 architecture is created.

Any hint ?

Thank you in advance.
Sylvain
Torsten Sadowski 2007/09/26 20:03
Hello Sylvain,

which binary is created depends on the build machine. But, could you try to add " -arch i386 -arch ppc" to the sed lines in OpenCASCADE_darwin.sh and try out what happens?

Cheers, Torsten

P.S. What are you doing with OCC?
Sylvain Marie 2007/10/02 14:00
Hi Torsten,

[ Sorry for the late answer. It seems that the automatic notification system didn't work :-/ ]

Thanks for the tip, I now get fat binaries ! :-)

However, I now must find a way to set their "install_name" property to something like @executable_path/../Frameworks/... instead of the current /var/tmp//cc7IslRW.out

As my last experience with sed and reg exps was a long time ago, I need to refresh my skills before sending you the updated OpenCASCADE_darwin.sh with proper install names :-)

OCC 6.2 is used to port the HumanCAD software on Macs (http://www.nexgenergo.com/ergonomics/humancad.html)

Sylvain
Torsten Sadowski 2007/10/09 20:47
Hello Sylvain,

do you get this strange install_name when you run my scripts? If this is the case you need to run the install_name_tool right after linking the libraries. The later libraries take the install names from the libraries they are linked against. To make this a bit more clear:

g++ -o libTKernel.dylib .....
install_name_tool -id @executable_path/../Frameworks/libTKernel.dylib
g++ -o libTKMath.dylib ... -lTKernel ...
install_name_tool -id ...

Cheers, Torsten

P.S. sed is tough but its the only tool I know to do the job
Sylvain Marie 2007/10/16 21:35
Hi Torsten,

After quite a few trials, I got sed to patch the makefile to set the install_path :-)

The modified file is OpenCASCADE_darwin.sh.
I can't find a way to attach a file on this forum, so I'm pasting the modified file here.
Please feel free to update your distribution on your webpage (if you're pleased with the touch up, of course)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

mkdir -p $CASROOT/adm/`uname`/

mkdir -p $CASROOT/Darwin/lib
ln -s $CASROOT/Darwin/lib/ $CASROOT/Darwin/Frameworks

cd $CASROOT/adm/Linux/

for text_file in *
do
     echo "Editing file $text_file"
     sed -e 's/Linux/Darwin/g' -e 's/COMP/XCOMP/g' \
          -e 's/-DLININTEL/-gdwarf-2 -arch i386 -arch ppc/g' \
          -e 's/-DLIN//g' \
          -e 's?-I${JAVAHOME}/include/linux?-I${JAVAHOME}/Headers -I${X11_INCLUDE} ?g' \
          -e 's/-shared/-dynamiclib -Wl,-single_module -arch i386 -arch ppc/g' \
          -e 's/\.so /\.dylib /g' \
          -e 's?-L/usr/X11R6/lib?-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11?g' \
          -e 's/-MD//g' \
          -e 's/[a-zA-Z0-9]*\.dylib/& -install_name @executable_path\/\.\.\/Frameworks\/& -Wl,-executable_path \${CASROOT}\/Darwin\/lib/g' \
          $text_file > ../`uname`/$text_file
#     mv -f temp $text_file
done

cd ../Darwin

sed -e 's/-ldl/-ldl -L${X11_LIB} -lX11/g' TKDraw.lnk > temp
mv temp TKDraw.lnk
sed -e 's/-ldl/-ldl -L${X11_LIB} -lX11/g' DRAWEXE.lnk > temp
mv temp DRAWEXE.lnk

cd ../../..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Rice 2007/12/08 20:26
Hi Torsten -

Could you please let me know where I can download your patches for Mac? I'd like to get OCC 6.2 built on Leopard.

Thanks.
Michael
Torsten Sadowski 2007/12/15 15:54
Hi Michael,

sorry for the late reply.

The patches are found here:

http://keepcool.kup.tu-berlin.de/public/mitarbeiter/sadowski/OCC62_Mac_Install.tar.gz

I have not yet had time to add the universal build changes.

Cheers, Torsten

Latest news
  • OCCT Applications
  • Open CASCADE Technology 6.8.0 is available for download!
  • New features to enhance the development process

• © OPEN CASCADE 2000 - 2014  |  Search  |  Contacts   |  Site map