The Application Framework uses an associativity engine to simplify the development of your CAD application.
Based on an application/document architecture, it does this thanks to the following features:
- Application data is handled by the mechanism of attributes
- Attributes may be organized according to your development needs
- Multiple documents can be managed by the application
- Ready-to-use modeling data attributes common to CAD/CAM applications
- Data storage services
- A ready-to-use Undo-redo function
Because OCAF handles your application structure, this leaves only the creation of application-specific data and GUIs as your major development tasks.
Organization of application data is where OCAF differs from other CAD frameworks. In OCAF, the data structure is not shape-driven, but reference-key driven. In this approach, attributes such as shape data, color, material, are attached to a deeper invariant structure of a model than the shapes themselves. OCAF then organizes and embeds these attributes in a document.
OCAF documents are in turn managed by an OCAF application.